The background of this area should be an image. Please use Change Background feature to change the background of this area.
(Can be found under DESIGN tab)
Hiking Las Vegas Blog
There are several reasons to become a Double 53er:
1. You will stay in shape. Doing all the peaks again will keep you in shape.
2. To date only six hikers have the status of a Double 53er. Its an elite status to earn. Hikers who are double 53ers.
3. Having a goal is good. You will hike with a purpose. Many hikers once they become a 53er don't hike as much; no goal anymore.
4. Meet new people. The 52 Peak Club always has new people joining and hiking. Who knows who you might meet???
5. If you had a big fear factor, it will be greatly reduced.
6. Do you know most of the peaks have several routes to them? If you do a different route, it's a new hike for you. Listed below are peaks and the number of routes:
Bridge Mtn - 4 routes
Mt. Wilson - 4 routes
Pine Creek Peak - 2 routes
Rainbow Peak - 3 routes
White Pinnacle Peak - 3 routes
Black Velvet Peak - 2 routes
Bridge Vista - 2 routes
Bridge Point - 2 routes
Mescalito - 3 routes
Global Peak - 3 routes
Oak Peak - 2 routes
Lost Creek Peak - 4 routes
Goodman Peak - 2 routes
Hidden Peak - 2 routes
Terrace Canyon Peak - 2 routes
Windy Peak - 3 routes
North Peak - 3 routes
Juniper Peak - 2 routes
Crabby Appleton Peak - 2 routes
White Rock Hills Peak - 4 routes
Gray Cap Peak - 2 routes
White Rock Springs Peak - 2 routes
Turtlehead Jr. - 4 routes
Calico Tank Peak - 3 routes
Kraft Mtn - 5 routes
Mt. Charleston Peaks:
Charleston Peak - 4 routes
Mummy Mtn. - 4 routes
Mummy's Chin - 2 routes
Griffith Peak - 2 routes
McFarland Peak - 2 routes
Mummy's Nose - 2 routes
Macks Peak North - 2 routes
Fletcher Peak - 2 routes
Lake Mead Peaks:
Frenchman - 2 route
Fortification Hill - 2 routes
That's 66% (34 peaks) of the peaks have at least two routes to them.
To qualify as another route the route must be at least 50% different than other routes (to the same peak). Most routes are at least 80% different and a lot are 100% different.
Example: Windy Peak from the backside vs. East Face Route to Windy Peak route. The only part of those routes that are the same is standing at the summit.
And, of course, the hike will be different due to different people and possibly a different leader and weather conditions. And you to will be different.
Video of Bill Inglehart becoming the first Double 53er:
Branch Whitney is the author of Hiking Las Vegas and creator of the 52 Peak Club where members hike to the best 52 Peaks around Las Vegas, NV