The number one complaint I hear from hikers is their knees hurt. Hiking and climbing are rough on the knees. Many hikes require hikers to descend over 2000 feet! That can be tough on anyone's knees.
Here are 7 Tips to Keep Your Knees from Hurting
1. Take short steps instead of long steps when descending steep rock. This prevents stressing your knees.
2. If possible, use your arms to descend. This will take pressure off your knees and at the same time strengthen your triceps.
3. If trail hiking, use hiking poles. This also takes pressure off your knees.
4. Walk backward on an elevated treadmill.
This strengthens the muscles around your knees.
5. Lift weights for your legs. Strong leg muscles protect your knees.
6. Stretch. Stretching your leg muscles will make them more flexible and help protect your knees.
7. Rest. The mountains are not going anywhere. Give your knees a break. If your knees are hurting, it also affects your balance.
Branch Whitney is the author of Hiking Las Vegas and creator of the 52 Peak Club where members hike to the best 52 Peaks around Las Vegas, NV